Moerlina has a strong tradition of parental involvement. Active and purposeful parental involvement significantly strengthens our school community, supports the school’s academic programs and consolidates the teacher-student-parent partnership. It’s one of the secret ingredients that make Moerlina a very special place to be.
There are a number of ways to get involved at both a school and a class level.
One Busy Bee (BZB) is held each term in addition to the BZB held prior to the commencement of Term 1 to prepare the grounds for the children’s return. Every Moerlina family is expected to attend at least 2 BZBs per year. Parent involvement in BZBs is essential to minimize fees associated with maintenance costs. Families who are not able to attend BZBs may choose to contribute time other than at BZBs – please speak with the Principal regarding tasks that can be completed in lieu of BZB.
BZBs are a fun social experience as well as being very satisfying in seeing the results of our community input.
As a Class Representative you welcome new parents and children to your class and help organise some of the regular events each term, such as catering for our BZBs.
Committees are generally led by a Council member and address more specific needs of the school. This year the Committees are:
- Buildings and Grounds
- Information Technologies
- 3rd Income
The Committees play an important role in responding to requests from Council or staff, and in formulating suggestions for positive action that benefits the teaching and learning programs for our staff and students, and the business of our school. The Committee Coordinators do not take on all of the work of the Committee, but act as liaison between the school community and the Committee, and as facilitator in planning and actioning agreed Committee activities. The committees report back to Council on a monthly basis.
Our Teams meet on a more informal basis but are no less important to our school community. We currently have the following active teams:
- Alumni team – coordinates contact with past students and families of Moerlina, and keeps them up to date with current events;
- Friends of the Arts team – manages the highly successful shelf shop and market days;
- Fundraising and Events team – coordinates functions for families and whole school events like our annual Quiz Night;
- Green team – oversees waste wise and sustainability projects around the school;
- Library team – resources and organises our school library and runs our annual book sale;
- Grounds team – actions much of the work of the playground development and plan; and,
- Support-a-Reader team – under the guidance of our specialist literacy teacher provides opportunities for our students to continue to develop their passion for reading.